Volunteers contribute to our museums and galleries in many different ways, from engaging directly with our visitors to working behind the scenes with our exhibitions, events and collections teams. They help us provide valuable services that we would not otherwise be able to provide.
Volunteer Museum Assistant
We are seeking to recruit a team of volunteer gallery assistants to support visitors with access to our exhibition galleries.
- maintain the interactives throughout the day eg. tidy gallery interactives, toy, books etc.
- be available to assist and direct visitors in the gallery and answer questions as appropriate
- ensure proper behaviour in the gallery to maintain a warm, fun, welcoming atmosphere for all our visitors and their children.
You will receive an induction necessary to the role including full health and safety. All short-listed applicants will be required to attend a short, informal interview.
Please get in touch if you are:
- are interested in supporting families and children
- feel comfortable coming into contact with and communicating with members of the public and specifically parents and carers
- have good interpersonal skills
- can follow instructions and safety procedures
- are keen to learn
- work well with others in a team
- are reliable, trustworthy and punctual
- are willing to abide by the Council's code of conduct for volunteers and staff
- are resident in the UK or in possession of a suitable visa for study or work
How to apply:
A Volunteer Code and Policy can be obtained by ringing the gallery on 01274 431212 and will be available at the inerview as well.
Please send your registered interest to:
Cartwright Hall Art Gallery
Or email: [email protected]
To discuss further please call Sonja Kielty, Curator Exhibitions, T: 01274 436027
Cartwright Hall Café volunteer
We are seeking a pool of volunteers to work in the new café at Cartwright Hall Art Gallery.
- To work under the supervision of museum café staff
- To set up the up the café at the start of the.
- To create a warm, friendly welcome to the café
- To serve food and drink
- To take cash payment and give change
- To keep the café clean and tidy throughout the days service e.g. clear and wipe tables
- To help with the cleaning up throughout the service and at the end of the session
- To work according to agreed food hygiene and healthy and safety guidelines
Training and support
You will be given a full induction to the site and training by a member of staff in all aspects of the role. Aprons, gloves and all necessary equipment will be provided. The Catering Manager will be working with you and will be in a position of responsibility for your work.
This role is suitable for people who
- Are interested in supporting Cartwright Hall Art Gallery
- Enjoy communicating with members of the public
- Have good interpersonal skills
- Can follow instructions and safety procedures
- Are keen to learn and are willing to receive specialist training
- Work well with others in a team
- Are reliable, trustworthy and punctual
- Are willing to abide by our code of conduct for volunteers
How to apply
If you are interested in this role, please send your completed application form to Sonja Kielty, Volunteer Co-Ordinator, [email protected]