Bolling Hall Museum
Bradford District Museum & Galleries

Bradford District Museum & Galleries

Bradford District Museums & Galleries (BDMG)’s collections have developed over more than 150 years, even before a museum service existed in the district. Early collections belonging to the Mechanics Institute and local amateur enthusiasts were collected from late 18th through 19th centuries.  In 1974, when the City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council was established the main museums of Keighley (founded 1899), Ilkley (1892) Cartwright Memorial Hall (1904) and Bolling Hall (1915) and the newly founded Bradford Industrial Museum (1974) were united as a single service. The new metropolitan district was serving a wider community. Each site was allocated as the districts site for a specific collection, Archaeology at Manor House, Ilkley, Art at CMH, Natural Sciences and Social History at Cliffe Castle Museum, Keighley, Social History at Bolling Hall, Industrial Collections at BIM.

More Collections

Bradford District Museum & Galleries
The collection comprises some 38,000 items, the majority of which is excavated pot sherds.
Bradford District Museum & Galleries
The print collection includes works by master printmakers such as Francisco Goya, William Blake and Walter Sickert and by modern masters – Pop Artists Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein and Richard Hamilton.
Bradford District Museum & Galleries
This collection comprises some 5000 items, shared almost equally between furniture and ceramics.
Bradford District Museum & Galleries
This collection began in 1966, and includes textiles, engineering, public and domestic transport, the history of science, motive power, printing, communications, crafts and professions, as well as technical information.